ISAC Program

Before You Apply

International School Alliance of China or ISAC is a Chinese higher education alliance. Our members include over 40 international shools/colleges of Chinese universities.

ISAC is also the strategic partner of Hangzhou Municipal Education Bureau, Suzhou SIP Education Bureau, Xiamen Education Bureau and Zhengzhou Education Bureau. Through the ISAC teaching programs, teachers around the world are invited to teach at one of our member schools for 6~12 months.

What we do:

  1. Recruit foreign teachers for ISAC teaching programs
  2. Conduct preliminary screening (but not the final interview);
  3. Put teachers to direct conversations with our partner schools
  4. Provide visa assistance, medical check assistance, airport pick up, settle in assis;
  5. Organize field trip, food tour and all kinds of activities

What we don’t do:

  1. ISAC do not work with private training/language centers;
  2. ISAC is not involved in teacher’s salary negotiation; teachers negotiate directly with the school
  3. Contract signing: foreign teachers sign employment contract directly with school

The ISAC Foreign Teacher Programs are a collection of teaching programs including

  • Hangzhou Public School Program
  • Suzhou Industrial Park English Course Delivery Program
  • Xiamen Public School Program
  • ISAC University Teaching Program
  • ISAC-EEPIC Program
  • Zhengzhou Bilingual Class Program.
  • ISAC only work with public schools, universities and eudcation bureaus in China;
  • ISAC put applicants into direct conversation with schools;
  • ISAC experience counts: if you wish to explore different parts of China, the credit you earned at previous employer carry to the next one with a higher position and better renumeration;

You are hired by the school. That means you will sign your contract with the school. ISAC is only responsible for presenting your Resume to our partner schools.

You must have heard stories of foreign teachers signing contracts with recruiting companies and then being placed to a school to work (that’s what many recruiting companies do; believe it or not, they take a portion of your salary. So always be careful if you are signing a contract with a company).

We only provide jobs within an educational institution; positions include
1, Language Instructor (English, Spanish, French, Russian, Korean or Japanese)
2, Subject Instructor (Mechanical, Software, CS etc)
3, School Officer (Communication, Grant, Talent Management officers etc.)

Subject include Music, Math, Science Teacher, PE Teacher, History, Art etc

  1. Submit an application to ISAC;
  2. C.V. screening and, for inexperienced teachers, a 15-20 mins preliminary interview with ISAC;
  3. From the vacancy list, select a list of positions you are interested in;
  4. Interview with interested schools; (there might be more than one);
  5. Receive an offer and an original contract for visa application purposes;
  6. Apply for a Z work visa at a Chinese Embassy; arrange a flight to China;
  7. Fly to China and start work

*Note that for Hangzhou Program applicants, ISAC will conduct a one-round interview on behalf of Hangzhou Education Bureau, and make a decision based on your interview performance.

ISAC programs generally start in September or February of each year for the two school terms

  • the Fall term(Sept-Jan) and
  • the Spring term(Feb-July)

ISAC also have sporadic openings during a term. You can check updated Job Vacancies and apply.

1. As mentioned, your ISAC experience counts! The experience (with positive feedback from your employer) will be very persuasive for other ISAC schools to make you a job offer with better renumeration than new applicants.
2. Move from a smaller university to a more reputable university.
3. Move from a smaller city to a more international city or otherwise.

For example: Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics is in Nanchang, which is a more inner city compared to Hangzhou. After one year’s in Nanchang, you can move to Zhejiang University of Finance and Economics in Hangzhou, a bigger city with more foreigners; in the meantime you can expect being better paid than new applicants because of your (positive) experience in Nanchang.

ISAC get service fees from the universities and schools we partner with by introducing teachers to interview with them. ISAC use the income to maintain our staff size, organize activities and help more our partner universities and schools (some in smaller cities and provinces) hire qualifed teachers.


Yes, new graduates make a good part of our foreign teachers team. As a new graduate, you will need to meet the requirements to be eligible to legally work in China.

Foreign language teachers in China have to be native speaker. So if you want to teach English, you have to be from an English speaking country. If you want to teach Japanese, you have to be from a Japanese speaking country, i.e. Japan only.

Exception can be made if you have got a university diploma from a native speaking country. For example if you have a diploma from a Japanese university, you will be eligible for being a Japanese teacher in China. If you do not have one, consider teaching the language of your mother tongue

Requirements for all levels of teaching are the same. You are not required to have a master’s or higher to be eligible for a university position. It really depends on which age group you would prefer to teach.

That is due to government fund regulations on hourly pay. Overall monthly salary is lower, but the hourly pay for university positions is higher because university teachers have less teaching and working hours. University positions are one of the most popular job types among foreigners in China because of the fairly good amount of working hours and benefits (you could expect a good private apartment during your employment); it is also a good experience to write in your C.V.

Yes. You can apply to switch to another school/university under the ISAC programs upon satisfactory performance. ISAC teachers have high priority in terms of being considered for a job within the ISAC programs.

Yes. We do have teachers who bring their partners and children. However, it really varies case by case. It is possible especially if your partner will also be teaching.

Other Questions

Yes. You will know which city and which school/university you will be teaching before you accept or deny a job offer.

For many ISAC teachers, your employer may not be in Hangzhou. But as an ISAC teacher, you are still part of the ISAC community even if you are not in Hangzhou. When you visit Hangzhou, we will have our staff to pick you up and be your tour guide. Each month we have activities for ISAC teachers to participate. Activities include field trips, group meet-ups, conversational Mandarin class etc. Remember that whenever you are in Hangzhou, please let ISAC know, we will accommodate your schedule and let you have the best experience in Hangzhou. 🙂

Yes, and with satisfactory performance, your salary climbs along with your experience. Promotion is also a possibility with a good reference from your previous employer under ISAC.

6 month is the minimum length, that only applies to some positions. Most other positions are for 10~12 months.

1. Sign a contract with a school, not a company or an agency. 
2. Compare salary. If it goes too high, that could be a scam; if too low, that could be a position where agent snap a portion of your salary.

Common Public School Salary Range:

  • University: 7,500-12,000/month;
  • Primary, Middle & High: 12,000-16,000/month;
  • Subject Teachers: 16,000-20,000/month;

If accommodation is not included, a housing allowance of 1,000-3,000 should be included depending on which city you are in. (RMB 1000 for tier 3 cities and RMB 3000 for Beijing and Shanghai)